Having pests in your home is terrifying to begin with. So having a pest in your home that you’re very phobic of makes it even worse. Phobias can stem from a traumatic childhood experience, an injury or just genuinely being grossed out by something.
Did you know that there are certain phobias related to pests? We talked to our guys on the ground in London, professional pest controllers Empire, and have been able to compile a list of the top pest phobias that people suffer from.
- Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders. This is a very common phobia that a lot of people have heard of. This phobia also covers the fear of scorpions, ticks, mites and daddy longlegs too.
- Entomophobia – The fear of one or more species of insects. If you don’t like to keep the company of any types of bugs, then you might be suffering from this particular phobia.
- Katsaridaphobia – The fear of cockroaches. Whenever a cockroach is nearby, this phobia can cause someone to feel uncomfortable or anxious. Those with an extreme case of this phobia may even have a panic attack when they see a cockroach.
- Agrizoophobia – The fear of wild animals. Though you may think that wild animals aren’t considered a pest, this phobia can pertain to animals such as squirrels who live in the wild.
- Miruiphobia or Musophobia – The fear of rats and mice. Having a rat or mouse infestation in your home is a very common pest problem. So being phobic of them will make it a real challenge to live with.
- Acaraphobia – Fear of insects that bite and cause itching. These bugs could be ticks, bed bugs, fleas or lice. Many people suffering from this fear will have had a run in with bed bugs that wasn’t particularly nice.
- Herpetophobia – The fear of reptiles or anything that slithers. Who doesn’t have a phobia of something that can slither up behind you silently?
- Entonophobia – The fear of ticks. I think most of pets probably have this phobia. No one wants to have tiny, blood-sucking insects on them or their pets. Just thinking about it makes your skin crawl.