Deciding to finally tie the knot with your significant other is an important step in a person’s life. You’ve found the right one and reached a phase in your life when you are ready to settle down.
However, considering that marriage is a complex institution, you need to be willing to go the extra mile in order to make it work.
So, what does really constitute a happy marriage? Are there some rules a person should follow?
There are a lot of theories and research made through the years about the essential rules which should be applied in a marriage. However, there is no such thing as an absolute rule for happiness. You don’t have to search too far, everything you need is already within you.
Having said that, we managed to gather some of the best advice about what makes a marriage happier. Here are some essential habits a person needs to adopt in order to maintain a happy marriage:
1. Be there for each other. Be supportive of one another. If you are going to love and commit to a relationship together, do it. Don’t half-love.
2. Get out of the box. Free your mind and think more openly. In order to make your relationship flourish, you need to open up to every opportunity for growth.
3. Learn to forgive and forget. Life is short enough as it is, so there is no time for holding grudges. Discuss every little issue with your partner. Talk it through and try to find forgiveness within you.
4. Oh, those little things. Never forget the influence little things have on our everyday life. A simple rose picked from the local garden can mean a lot and brighten a person’s day.
5. Invest some quality time in your relationship. The only way a marriage can grow is by cultivating the bond between you two. And you know what they say: It takes to tango, right?
6. Speak up your mind. Don’t suppress your emotions. Marriage should be a sacred temple in which you can share even your darkest of fears and deepest of feelings. Let yourself be free and honest with your partner. It is the only through sincerity that you’ll reach serenity in life.
7. Live in this exact present moment. Accept the past mistakes, and never yearn for the future. The only thing we have is now. Use the present moment wisely and make it worthwhile.
8. There will be things that will annoy you. Whether they’re your partner’s traits, a flaw or a simple disagreement, some things won’t be able to change. Try to accept these things by reaching a reasonable compromise and carry on.
9. Love. Madly. Deeply. Passionately. Be open about your feelings about them. Express your love heartfelt and express it every day.
10. Actions do speak louder than words. Make sure you show your love with your deeds, rather than with just your words.
11. Make self-care a priority. Accept your flaws and take good care of yourself. You won’t be able to take care of somebody else if you don’t take care of yourself first.
12. Try to change the things you don’t like. Marriage takes a lot of work and if sometimes requires some sacrifice too, then you should definitely do it.
13. Search for the good in the relationship. As years go by, there are plenty of things that will manage to drive you crazy. However, you should always focus on finding the positive aspects of your relationship and help your relationship grow stronger.
14. Whenever the road gets rocky, you give your best to cross it safely, you don’t go back. It is the same with relationships. Maintenance is the most important thing. Make sure your marriage gets a proper care on a regular basis.
15. Be curious together. Expand your mind and broaden your horizons. Learn new things every day. It is the essential key to evolution and growth. And individual growth is the most essential for a happy marriage.
16. Leave the past behind you. Never dwell on the things that once happened.. But, do learn from those mistakes. Let them serve you an example.
17. Be kind and generous. One sincere and simple sentence like “I’m sorry” and “I’m here for you” can change a person’s day in a heartbeat. It might be the only thing they need at the moment.
18. Don’t judge. Whatever happened, your partner will count on you to be there for them. Don’t let them down by projecting an irrational judgment. Listen to what they have to say and find the solution together.
19. Take care of the passion in your relationship. Don’t let the fire go out. Make some time to experiment in the bedroom, believe me, it will be worth it.
20. Stick together. There will be rough times and bad days, but the only thing that will make your marriage last is sticking together and supporting your partner through thick and thin.
21. Base your relationship on friendship. I personally believe that any relationship built on a strong friendship first has the higher odds to outlast any issue and survive those difficult existential crises.
A professional writer with many years of experience in the fields of psychology, human relationships, science, and spirituality. If you have a general question or comment please fill out the form and we will get back to you as soon as possible https://curiousmindmagazine.com/contact-us/