I used to think that prioritizing my feelings, needs, and problems over those of other people was unfair and selfish. I thought that cherishing and taking care of other people meant that I had to put their needs continuously before my own. Consequently, I constantly felt stressed out, tired, and drained.
Yes, I always tried to be there for others. And I was always willing to sacrifice my own needs and happiness for the sake of my family and friends, including my relationships.
I was also working as an English teacher in a primary school and as a freelance translator, which often kept me up at night. At this stage in my life, sleeping for 7 or 8 hours a night was something I could only dream about.
I started feeling like I was losing my sense of self. I ignored my needs, desires, and wishes. I forgot what I really needed in life. I forgot how to enjoy life. I forgot the importance of self-care and self-love.
I lived my life focusing solely on pleasing and taking care of others, and of course, making money for about two and a half years until I was left with no choice but to put an end to this.
My physical and mental health began to fail. Catching a cold became something I had to endure a couple of times every season. And when I developed pneumonia, I finally understood the message my body had been sending to me. I finally understood that it was time for me to slow down.
I realized that it was time for me to take a step back and change my habits and interests in life. I realized I had to decide what my main priorities were in life.
I realized that unless I take care of myself and practice self-love every day, I’ll never be able to take care of others.
So, what does self-care mean?
Many people think that self-care is about feeling happy all the time, but we all know that such a thing is impossible. Pain and suffering are an inseparable part of life. Moreover, they’re something we need to experience so as to grow.
Self-care is about deepening your connection with yourself in order for you to understand how to meet your needs.
Self-care is about identifying and overcoming your deepest insecurities and fears. It’s about embracing your weaknesses and imperfections. It’s about accepting and cherishing yourself for who you are.
Self-care is about doing the things that make you feel happy and bring you a sense of fulfillment.
Self-care is about breaking yourself of bad, self-destructive habits and developing new and healthy ones.
Self-care is about finding your life purpose and living your life in ways that make it meaningful, fulfilling, and exciting.
Here are 21 tips on how you can practice self-care and keep the debilitating effects of exhaustion, burnout, and sickness at bay:
1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
2. Consume healthy food.
3. Walk in nature.
5. Love your body the way it is now. Don’t be ashamed of your imperfections.
6. Spend less time on social media.
7. Spend quality time with your loved ones.
8. Appreciate every good thing in your life and be grateful for all the experiences you’ve had in your life, both positive and negative.
9. Treat yourself with kindness, compassion, and patience.
10. Do not suppress your strong feelings. Instead, let them flow freely and accept them the way they are.
11. Write down all of the things you love about yourself.
12. Take up a hobby.
13. Listen to music you find soothing.
15. Do something creative. For example, draw or play an instrument (and don’t worry if you’re not very skilled at it) or get into something like model trains and model HO scale buildings, or learn how to code. The options are endless. Just let the creativity spark.
16. Do something that fills your heart with joy.
17. Do something that you have always found scary and that you have always wanted to do.
18. Help someone without expecting anything in return.
19. Forgive the person that you’ve been holding a grudge against.
20. Focus on your own needs and priorities instead of prioritizing those of others over your own.
21. Love yourself.
Riley Cooper is a professional writer who writes informative and creative articles on topics related to various fields of study. Written with love and enthusiasm, her articles inspire readers to broaden their knowledge of the world, think and get ready to act. If you have a general question or comment please fill out the form and we will get back to you as soon as possible https://curiousmindmagazine.com/contact-us/