Confidence. That indefinable thing that makes our lives better.Or worse. Too much of it and you can come off as arrogant, but having too little can prevent you from moving forward, taking risks and will eventually affect parts of your life. The key to the perfect combination is a bit of both sides. Here are some pointers for the desirable perfect combo. Mix lightly and handle with extreme care.
1. Always be yourself
The first step to increase your confidence is to always be your true self. I bet this is the most cliche quote you’ve ever heard of, but let me tell you a secret. The most genuine of all also. You are one of a kind. You are unique. You are amazing. Our differences are what determine us.
There is only one of you in this world, so if that isn’t something worth nurturing and taking care of, I can’t think of anything else. Remember, you can’t control what others think of you. If you ask 10 different people their opinions of you, you are likely to find you have 10 different reputations. Stick to your guns, never ever compromise yourself because YOU are all you have.
2. No bad vibes
Let go of the negativity in your life and allow the sunrays of positivism shine upon yourself. Philosophy and spirituality teach us about the consequences of our thoughts. So, why positive thoughts and not negative ones? Fear and negativity are like a black hole for our consciousness. Once you get in that dark element, the brain filters out everything else and you only think of failure. And thought power holds the key to our reality. Seek out your happy place and surround your mind with positivity. Create your own mantra and in times of need talk to your inner self “You Can Do It!”
3. Get out of your comfort zone or (Comfort zone ✖)
We’ve all been down that road. It’s that whimsical, magical place not far away from Never-Neverland, where milk and honey flow instead of rivers and there’s not a single worry on your mind. That imaginary place that shelters us and provides us an unlimited amount of familiarity, security, and certainty. But.. “a ship in harbor is safe, except that’s not what ships are made for”.
Break out of there and let the world see you. Rise up, embrace the opportunities and give yourself the chance to learn a new thing each and every day. Even doing something seemingly small every day will eventually lead you to something bigger. Comfort kills your productivity and therefore affects your self-esteem. Make the step!
4. Don’t forget, you are AWESOME!
Life is hard and there are times when it’s difficult to maintain your confidence high up. Stop for a second and think about all of the things you are proud of. Your accomplishments, your victories.
No matter how big or small they are, they are results of your hard work. Make a list of all your qualities and acknowledge your own achievements. So, whenever you feel blue or you need your daily dose of self-esteem reread what you have written.
3. Body Talk is relevant
Let’s be honest. 20% of our daily life communication is verbal, the other 80% stand for non-verbal communication or widely known as Body Language. Your attitude towards every situation says a lot more about you than your own words. So if you are saying something, but your body language hesitates and says the opposite, you are not getting your desired message across.
Research conducted at Harvard and Columbia Business Schools shows that simply holding your body in high-power poses stimulates higher levels of testosterone- the hormone responsible for dominance and lower levels of cortisol- the stress hormone. Therefore, find your suitable power posture and Carpe Diem!
Take your time to implement these rules and work on yourself. Feeling more confident is one part of living a happier, more fulfilling life.
A professional writer with over a decade of incessant writing skills. Her topics of interest and expertise range from psychology, to all sorts of disciplines such as science and news.