Your eyes are one of the first things people notice about your appearance. To many people, the eyes are the “window to the soul.” However, aging or genetic factors may cause one’s eyelids to sag and droop, giving off an older or tired appearance.
Eyelid rejuvenation surgery, which is medically known as blepharoplasty, can help you address this tired appearance. With this procedure, you can minimize the bags and puffiness around your eyes and achieve a younger, more energetic look.
How Eyelid Rejuvenation Works
The eyelid rejuvenation procedure begins with the surgeon inserting opaque contact lenses in your eyes. This makes it feel as if you are closing your eyes during the procedure.
Next, the surgeon administers local anesthesia around your eyelids to numb the pain. Then, the surgeon carries out the surgery by making a small incision close to your lashes. You don’t necessarily have to undergo multiple eyelid surgeries. One blepharoplasty procedure will generally produce the desired results.(1)
Pros of the Eyelid Rejuvenation Procedure
Many benefits can come out of the eyelid rejuvenation procedure, some of which include:
- Improved vision: While many undergo eyelid rejuvenation to enhance their beauty, the procedure can improve vision by reducing puffiness and drooping.
- More color to the eyes: A drooping eyelid makes it difficult for light to get to the iris. After blepharoplasty, more light can enter the iris, giving the eyes more color.
- Fewer migraines: Though the aim of blepharoplasty is not to solve migraine issues, many people attest to relief and, in some cases, the total disappearance of migraines after the procedure.
- More accurate facial expressions: The eyes are a large part of non-verbal communication. Drooping eyelids may give people the impression that you are sad, tired, or disinterested. An eyelid lift can prevent people from misinterpreting your facial expressions.
- Younger look: Eyelid surgery can address wrinkles and lines, giving you a younger look.
Cons of Eyelid Rejuvenation
Notwithstanding the numerous benefits that come with eyelid rejuvenation, there are certain risks, including:
- The possibility of infection
- Dryness and irritability of the eyes
- Injury to the muscles in the eyes
- Discoloration of the skin near the eyes
- Possibility of noticeable scars
Before carrying out the surgery, you should talk to your doctor about how these risks may apply to you. Knowing the benefits and possible risks will help you weigh your options and decide whether to go ahead with the procedure or not. (2)
Preparing for an Eyelid Surgery
Before scheduling an eyelid rejuvenation procedure, go over your medical history with your doctor. You should also be sure to tell your surgeon what you are expecting from the procedure. Discussing your expectations will help your surgeon explain the potential outcome of the surgery.
If necessary, the doctor may recommend a physical examination before carrying out the surgery. This might include taking pictures of your eyelids from different angles to plan and assess the possible long-term effects of the surgery. No matter what your situation is, you should schedule a consultation with a medical professional, like Dr. Obaid of North Texas Plastic Surgery, to discuss your options.
Speaks from heart, always too passionate and driven by emotions. Spins the words with kindness & sharpness, intriguing your ever-inscrutable minds.