Moving houses is an experience most of us would like to skip but it is a part of life. Moving cross country can be very overwhelming and stressful for some due to the changes that are expected to happen. The thought of leaving your old life and friends for new ones can also add to the stress.
Apart from stress, moving cross country can also be very expensive. On average, moving cross country can cost up to $2,000 to $5,000 depending on the size and number of things that you would be bringing with you during the move.
So if you’re looking for tips on how to make an affordable cross country move, here are some that you should try:
- Get rid of the unimportant things you won’t bring with you.
The first thing that you should do when you are planning to move cross country is cleaning out the house and getting rid of the unnecessary stuff that won’t make it to your new place. Some of the things that you should probably consider doing to get rid of the unimportant things are:
- Donate or sell your old clothes and furniture. You can sell them online or donate it to a thrift shop, or give them away to friends who need them most.
- Books and toys can be sold via garage sale or online as well.
- It may also be cheaper to sell old electronic devices like your old television and sound system, and buy new ones when you get to your new place because they tend to be big and heavy, therefore, more expensive to move.
- Choose how to move your things.
Your main considerations when choosing which option to go for would be the size of your household, meaning how many things you will be bringing and whether you are alone or with family, and the distance of the move you would be doing. Here are a few options for you:
- Hire a moving company. If you have a lot of belongings and they can’t fit in your car, then you can opt to rent a trailer or a truck. There are many companies that offer moving services and their prices are pretty much on the same level.
When choosing a company to do the moving, it is better if they offer a lot of specific services like moving your motorcycle or other important and expensive belongings. That way, they may give you a package price or a special price for all the services that you may avail. A professional moving company offers many specific services, unlike others that only rent out trailers or trucks.
- Go DIY. If you are alone, and moving with just a few belongings, packing them all up in your car and driving to your new destination would be the best and most affordable option if it won’t take a few days to get to your new location. If you need a few days to travel by land, then you have to think of extra expenses such as food, accommodation, and gas expenses.
- Ship your belongings and fly. If the distance is too long but you only have a few belongings, you can drop your belongings in a bus or a train while you fly to your destination. Some bus companies offer shipping services. You only have to drop off your belongings with them and you will pick which terminal is nearest to your new place, and pick your stuff up from there.
- Make sure you already have a place to stay before moving.
Whether you are flying to your new city or county, it is better to already have a place ready before going there. Staying at a hotel or motel for a few days while you are looking for a new place is an additional expense that you can do without.
Looking for a new place can take a long time so prepare yourself for the cross country move by researching for a place to rent online. You can also contact a real estate agent and they can prepare a few places you can look at online or in person when you visit. Be sure that you have already signed a lease before you pack your things.
- Consider moving during off-peak seasons.
Yes, there is actually an ideal time when you should be moving to prevent higher costs. It would be more cost-efficient to move during the weekdays, from Monday to Thursday, rather than weekends since moving usually happens during those days, and most moving companies are booked so they may charge a higher price for you.
It is also advisable to steer clear of moving during the end of the month as there is a higher demand for movers during that time. Leases usually expire during the end of the month so there will be a lot of other people moving during those times, too. So get ahead and move earlier if your lease also happens to finish at the end of the month.
Moving during the summertime is also not a good idea. Summertime is the season of moving because classes have ended and families prefer this time for their kids to settle in a new environment. This is also the time when most moving companies charge the highest so it’s better to schedule your cross country move on any season other than summer.
Moving will always be stressful in one way or another but it doesn’t have to be expensive either. The best course of action is to always plan ahead and do your research. Creating a checklist of what you have to do is also a great idea so you can keep track of your progress with the cross country moving process.
A professional writer with over a decade of incessant writing skills. Her topics of interest and expertise range from health, nutrition and psychology.