The National Institute of Health which is a US-run agency that focuses on biomedical and public health issues, as well as research, proclaims that around 53 million people of the nation are either suffering from osteoporosis or likely to develop the risk of bone disease. This is due to the fact that in this current day and age we have chosen for ourselves an unhealthy lifestyle that deteriorates our bone health considerably. Poor diet & nutrition, sedentary lifestyles, and even our modes of entertainment are killing our bones without us even knowing about it. It is time that we wake up and realize how our bone health is being neglected and what can we do to prevent this from happening in the first place. So in this post, we would like to offer you some great suggestions that can help you regain your bone mass and continuously strive to achieve healthier bones in the future. Let’s begin:
Binge-watching shows, spending hours and hours on social media, online gaming, internet surfing, and online video streaming have made our lives sedentary. All of this causes our bones and muscles to grow weaker with time. What we need is an active lifestyle that promotes physical excursions that can make our bones stronger. Here is what you can do to rectify the current problem:
- Consider walking or using a bicycle to get to your place of work rather than using a mode of transportation that keeps you seated and immobile.
- Develop a daily regimen that is built around everyday workouts or going to the gym.
- Best exercises to promote stronger and healthier bones include yoga, tai-chi, dancing, jogging/running, hiking, and racket sports.
Super Foods for Stronger Bones
First thing first, the primary source of dealing with bone problems is correcting our diet and nutrition options. Junk food, fast food, hydrogenated oils, alcohol, tobacco, processed meat, inorganic edibles, and even caffeine are what cause our bones to become weaker at times. Hence to compensate for our past mistakes, let us actively work to create a diet that includes the following superfoods to help grow stronger and healthier bones:
- Green and leafy vegetables preferably from an organic source such as broccoli, cabbage, okra, however spinach aren’t included since it is heavily endorsed with iron that blocks calcium absorption within the body. All of these organic vegetables offer you a good source of calcium that is required by our bodies to grow stronger bones.
- Selected fishes including tuna, salmon, and sardines. Tuna offers you a good source of vitamin D, 3 ounces of canned tuna comprises of 154 IU which is about 39% of your daily requirement of the sunshine vitamin. Salmons have omega-3 fatty acids, plus 3 ounces of red salmon a.k.a. blueback or kokanee salmon offers you 100% of vitamin D that is essential for calcium absorption in our bodies. Sardines offer you both calcium and vitamin D at high levels. Try them out in pasta and salads. Even mackerels and pilchards are great for bones as they are great sources for vitamin D and calcium respectively.
- Eggs and especially the yolk of theirs are rich in Vitamin D.
- Dairy products such as cheese, milk, and yogurt. Cheese of just 1.5 ounces is more than enough to have 30% of your daily value of calcium so there is no need to eat it excessively. 8 ounces of fat-free milk does contain 90 calories but offers you 30% of your daily dose of calcium. Fortified milk is better since it adds in the benefits of vitamin D as well. Lastly, one cup of yogurt offers you 30% of your daily requirement of calcium with 20% of your daily requirement of vitamin D.
Some Home Remedies for You to Try Out
- Avoid losing sleep, as a study suggest that men and women over the age of 50 years old become more prone to bone diseases if they slept less than 6 hours at night. As an adult, you require at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Stock up on items in your cupboard such as beans, peanut butter, and vinegar. Beans are rich in minerals such as magnesium and help prevent osteoporosis. Similarly, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter offer you 50 mg of magnesium. Lastly, a splash of vinegar when cooking a soup or preparing a green salad is great for your bones.
- Fruits like apple and bananas are also terrific when it comes to bone health. Apples have a trace of boron in them that holds calcium within the body. Bananas contribute to making your hips and spine bones to become stronger as they are rich in potassium and keep your blood clean.
- Tofu is a great source of iron and calcium plus it doesn’t contain cholesterol which makes it an excellent delight for your homes. For vegans and vegetarians, it is a great source for healthy protein as well. Tofu contains isoflavones such as phytoestrogens that can offer you protection against cancer, heart diseases, and osteoporosis. Tofu is made from soybeans curd and is naturally gluten-free as well as low in calories. 122 grams of tofu offers you 421 mg of calcium, 65 mg of magnesium, 3.35 mg of iron, 282 mg of phosphorus, 178 mg of potassium, 2 mg of zinc, and 27 micrograms of folate & DFE.
- Flowers like the Black Cohosh and the Red Clover. The Black Cohosh is commonly used to treat premenstrual syndrome, menopause, and painful menstruation, as well as acne. They are great for women going into the starting stages of labor as well. Red Clover, on the other hand, is a powerful herb with estrogen-like effects. Supplements of Red Clover can lower the chances of bone loss in women especially. However, one should completely avoid mixing them with prescribed medicine and always speak with a professional doctor before using them.
We hope this post was able to offer you some great insights as to how you can consciously make better decisions in your life to promote stronger and healthier bones. However if earlier problems persist and conditions prove to be unfavorable then it is best for you to contact chiropractic services immediately for help. For any further questions and queries regarding the topic, please feel free to let us know of your views and opinions in the comment section below.