As the name suggests, inversion therapy can be defined as the process of positioning yourself upside down in an inverted position with the aim of achieving therapeutic gains. This position requires your head to be facing downwards and the legs upwards. This function is aided by the use of an inversion table. Inversion therapy has several health benefits as well as negative effects on the patient. In this piece, we are going to look at the merits and demerits as shared on my website “Setup My Home GYM”of using inversion therapy as a way of achieving body wellness.
Benefits of using inversion therapy
Doctors and other medical professionals recommend the use of inversion tables to treat pain in various body parts. The following are the good ways you will benefit from inversion therapy.
- If you practice inversion therapy you may not need to go for a surgery due to that pain in the back anymore. This therapy works just after a few weeks as opposed to surgery which is a very painful process and may take months or even years in some cases to heal.
- It repairs and relieves the pain caused by herniated disc. This occurs when the disc is suppressed due to pressure
- When your sciatic nerves are under pressure, this may cause Sciatic nerve pain. Inversion therapy goes a long way to reduce this pain.
- Pain caused by a stiff neck can be as a result of Cervical Spinal Stenosis. Ligaments thicken around the region bringing great discomfort to the patient. Inversion therapy is used here to ease the pain and its effects.
- Inversion therapy reduces headaches. This could be as a result of many different reasons. It could be because of a something as simple as having a bad day.
- It also helps to improve the functioning of your lungs. Blood tends to pull towards the lower lungs. However on inverting it moves towards your upper lungs increasing oxygen supply.
- Your sinuses are cleared by increasing the circulation of blood and oxygen in your system through inverting
- Inversion therapy increases flexibility. The body may be made stronger through the micro-movements of the spine.
The Detriments of inversion therapy
Inversion therapy also comes with some drawbacks. Here are some of the disadvantages of using inversion tables.
- If you are a healthy person, inversion therapy may not be of any benefit to you. This is because research shows it may increase your blood pressure or heart rate.
- If you have retinal detachment you are advised against this kind of therapy due to the high eye pressure.
- Inversion therapy may cause strokes, bone weakness, and spinal injury. And you need to keep off this therapy if you have had a recent injury to the head.
- Some conditions that may not go well with inversion therapy include glaucoma, recent back surgery, high blood pressure, herniated disc and hiatal hernia. If you belong to either one of these categories you should especially avoid inversion tables.
- Your blood pressure can increase and you may make some other existing ailments worse than they already are. You need to be very careful if you decide to do inversion therapy. Consult your doctor first before you begin. It is also important to start slowly and pick up the pace as you move along.
- It is said that the effects of inversion therapy are not long lasting. They offer temporary relieve that only return after a period of time. A study is yet to show the long-term effects of this type of therapy.
It is important to maximize the benefits of this exercise. Do not forget that it is very important to get the consent of your doctor before beginning this therapy. If you are not careful it can do more harm than good to you.
Inversion therapy can also be done in the comfort of your home. All you need is to ensure you take maximum safety precautions and research widely. You may also need to have an instructor present when you use this therapy just to be safe.
In as much as the demerits of inversion therapy are there, the merits far out way them. It may also not have visible long-term positive effects but it is worth the try for a reprieve in the meantime while you look for long-term solutions to your problem.