ProAir HFA is used to treat and prevent shortness of breath and wheezing caused by breathing problems like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma. It can also be used to avoid asthma brought about due to exercising. Furthermore, this medication is considered a quick-relief drug that patients can automatically use in case of emergencies.
Albuterol or also known as salbutamol, the generic name of ProAir HFA, is a type of bronchodilator. It works by relaxing and relieving your muscles around the airways that usually tighten up during an asthma attack. By giving your airways time to relax through ProAir HFA intake, they will start to open up, making you breathe more easily.
Warnings for Taking ProAir HFA
It would be best to follow all of the instructions indicated on your medicine label. Before you take ProAir HFA, it will help if you communicate with your healthcare provider concerning any other medical conditions, allergies, or the medicines you use to prevent further health problems. It will help if you take note of the following:
- If you are allergic to albuterol, it will make sense not to use ProAir HFA;
- Be honest with your doctor if you ever had seizures, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, low potassium levels in the blood, thyroid disorder;
- Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or if you plan to get pregnant to be safe. This is because it is still unknown if albuterol can cause any harm to an unborn baby.
- If you are pregnant and taking ProAir HFA, it will help if you don’t breastfeed while using the said medicine. Also, you can opt to ask your doctor about any risks present.
How To Use ProAir HFA
It will help if you follow all of the prescription labels’ directions and read all of the medication guides. It is vital to use the medication as directed. Also, it is essential not to allow children to use this medication without any adult help or supervision.
If you plan to prevent any exercise-induced bronchospasm from happening, you can use this medication fifteen to thirty minutes before exercising. The effects of taking the mediation can last around four to six hours. Moreover, if you think your breathing problems are getting worse after taking the drug or if you think the asthma medication is not working so well, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention.
It is vital to note that your dosage might change when it comes to taking ProAir HFA due to some factors. This includes illness, stress, surgery, or even a recent asthma attack. Moreover, it is essential not to change the dosage without first consulting your doctor.
What If I Miss a Dose?
There are times when you run out of medicine, especially if you lack the money to purchase it and don’t have discounted coupons for your prescriptions from sites like BuzzRx. Hence, this can cause you to miss a dose.
If you ever miss a dose, it is best to take the said medicine as soon as possible. However, if it is already time for you to take the next dose, it would be great not to take the missed dose. Moreover, it is vital to note not to use two doses simultaneously.
What If I Overdose?
An overdose of albuterol can be hazardous. If this happens, it is vital to seek medical help at once. Furthermore, overdose symptoms might include chest pain, dry mouth, fast heartbeats, seizure, tremors, fainting, general ill feeling, nausea, or feeling light-headed.
Side Effects of ProAir HFA
If you experience any signs of an allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of lips, face, throat, or tongue, it will help to seek medical help immediately.
It would be best to call your doctor as soon as possible if you have the following side effects:
- Choking, wheezing, or other breathing problems after using ProAir HFA;
- Pounding in your ears or neck, severe headache;
- High blood sugar-increased thirst, increased urination, dry mouth, fruity breath odor;
- Pounding heartbeats, fast heart rate, fluttering in your chest, or chest pain;
- Burning sensation or pain when urinating;
- Low-potassium leg cramps, irregular heartbeats, constipation, muscle weakness, numbness or tingling, increased urination or thirst, or limp feeling.
Common side effects might include the following:
- Vomiting, upset stomach;
- Feeling nervous or shaky;
- Pounding heartbeats, chest pain;
- Headache, body aches, back pain;
- Painful urination;
- Sore throat, cough, runny or stuffy nose, sinus pain.
Tips to Lower The Costs of ProAir HFA
To help you reduce your medication cost, it would be best to look for ProAir HFA coupons online. By doing so, you can save some money and receive a discount on your medication. It would also help if you shop around to compare prices. That way, you will know where to buy the most affordable ProAir HFA near you.
Doctors tend to receive a bunch of samples from drug manufacturers. It will make sense if you ask your doctor if there are any you can try for free. This will not only save you cash, but it also helps the drug manufacturer market their products to patients.
To Wrap It Up
ProAir HFA has a generic equivalent called albuterol or also known as salbutamol. It can help people who need quick relief after experiencing breathing problems caused by asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Furthermore, this medication works by relaxing your muscles, giving your airways a chance to open up and make your breath even easier.
A professional writer with over a decade of incessant writing skills. Her topics of interest and expertise range from psychology, to all sorts of disciplines such as science and news.