When we take photographs we actually intend to save the present moments. But have you ever thought that present moments which are captured to document the present, they in fact serve to witness the past?
Nowadays, capturing every photographic moment is a piece of cake thanks to the high tech. But this wasn’t the case in the past since cameras weren’t as common as they are today.
Photographs were only taken on significant and remarkable events. Many of these photos have become iconic shots years later after they endured the test of time and people could understand their value and historical meaning.
Today thanks to old photo restoration services we can restore the lost events and see the faces of people of those times.
Throughout the history, life has changed and things have changed a lot. If you ever thought that life is strange nowadays, you are just about to change your mind: weird things have always been happening.
There are so many unimaginable moments that happened over the years and this gallery is a witness of the oddest photos from the past. They are all genuine and each of them has captured a specific moment from the past.
I am sure that some of these preserved photographs will bring a smile on your faces. Enjoy your trip throughout the history:
1.London’s most miniature shop
A shoe sales man with a 1.2 square meter shoe store, 1900
2. Advertisement for the anti- malaria drug named Atabrine, Papua, New Guinea during WWII. 3. Photo taken of Elvis Presley in the army. 4. Beach patrols measuring the length of women’s bathing suits, 1920s. Women would be fined If they were too short.
5. A woman carrying her baby in a gas-resistant baby carriage.
6. A woman after committing suicide jumping
from the 83rd floor of the Empire State Building and thus landing on a United National Limousine, 1947.
7. Turnips and Cabbage – Christmas dinner during Great Depression
11. The Brooklyn Bridge Painter, 1914
15. After successful mission in space, the chimp is posing with a newspaper, 1961
16. Happiness and pleasure on the Australian boy’s face after receiving new shoes during WWII
17. A woman using the suntan vending machine, 1949
18. A photograph of the original Ronald McDonald, 1963
19. Fuzzy ducklings used as a medical therapy for children
20. Going over the Niagara falls in a barrel, Annie Edison Tayilor was the first person to survive, 1901
21. The crashing of Hindenburg, 1937
22.Hippopotamus pulling a cart, 1924
23. Painting the Eiffel Tower
24. The Disneyland cafeteria for its employees, 1961
25. The leftovers of a ruined London bookstore damaged by an air raid in 1940
26. A little girl with artificial legs, 1890
27. Being a lifeguard in 1920
28. Mum and her son looking at the mushroom cloud following a nuclear test in Las Vegas.
29. An unknown soldier in Vietnam from 1965.
30. This photo captures the moment when a soldier shared his banana with a goat during the battle of Saipan, Ca. in 1944.
31. Annette Kellerman promoting women’s rights for wearing one piece fitted swimming suit, 1907 the same later being arrested for indecency.
32. Bulletproof vests to be tested on humans, 1923
33. Martin Luther King removing a burned cross from his yard with his son in 1960
34. Walter Yeo, one of the first people to go through a skin transplant and developed plastic surgery, 1917
35. The shameful mum hiding her face after her disgraceful act of listing her children for sale in 1948
36. Berlin’s wall construction, 1961.
38. The last inmates leaving Alcatraz in 1963.
A professional writer with over a decade of incessant writing skills. Her topics of interest and expertise range from psychology, to all sorts of disciplines such as science and news.