What is the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the word Testosterone? If it’s something to do with manliness, well that’s fine.
There are all kinds of notions that men have about their testosterone levels, why they should be high, and how to keep them up and stay on top of the game. So, let’s jump right into it:
1.Steroids: If you’ve never heard of the word steroide anabolisant, we don’t blame you. Firstly, it’s French for Anabolic steroid, and secondly, it’s something that there’s a lot of discussion about.
So, what’s all the big deal?
Anabolic steroids quite simply result in anabolism through higher synthesis of protein in the body, which leads to a person putting on more muscle.
It’s quite often used to impart a higher degree of manliness by inducing puberty, hair growth, deepening of voice, et cetera.
There’s an extensive use of these steroids in bodybuilding and sports as well, with results visible within a short period of time.
However, we recommend that you consult a physician before starting out on courses of any such steroids, to ensure that your body is ready to benefit from these.
2. Cut the extra cigarettes & beers: While we would recommend entirely cutting them out of your daily life, it’s not something that happens overnight. So, if you’re a regular consumer, lay these down.
It’s been proven time and again that smoking messes up your body and negates all the hard work you put into your workout, and impairs your stamina and lung capacity.
Beer, on the other hand, contains hops which causes Estrogen formation. For those of you who don’t know, more Estrogen means your testosterone levels go for a toss.
3. Avoid Soy: While soy is an exemplary source of protein, it’s known to produce a great deal of Estrogen. Throwback to the previous point.
Rely less on soy for your protein supply, and avoid taking any supplements based on it. Always check the constituents of your box of WHEY.
4. Amp up your workout: Well, working out is known to promote testosterone formation. So, if you’re worried about getting your testosterone levels high, just blaze your workout schedule.
But remember one quick rule: keep your workouts short (~45 minutes) and intense. Beyond that, cortisol levels will spike, and counter your intended result.
5. Rest: Further to the above, it’s good to go for a good workout. But it’s so much important to take proper rest.
Little/no rest leads to overtraining and perpetual fatigue, which shifts your hormonal balance to grey areas where one thing that doesn’t dwell is testosterone.
6. Sleep: No matter what anyone tells you, pulling across more workout isn’t going to do you any good if you don’t get proper sleep.
Less sleep = more stress. More stress = decreased testosterone. Get the maths?
While the above tips work for sure, we still advise consulting a physician if you’re feeling low on testosterone and put a lid to that sooner. Keep training, stay fit and healthy, and enjoy life.