Home Curiosity Birth Defect Vs. Birth Injury: What’s The Difference?

Birth Defect Vs. Birth Injury: What’s The Difference?


Expecting parents are generally filled with excitement and anticipation as they prepare to welcome their child into the world. The months of excitement and longing have ended, and it is now time to start a new chapter.

There is also a great deal of anxiety over the well-being of the new kid, mainly if the delivery did not go as fast as could be expected. To ensure that your child and your family are taken care of if anything goes wrong, you need to know the difference between a birth defect and a birth injury. 

Birth Defect 

A condition or injury occurs while a baby is still inside the Mother’s Womb. About 3% to 4% of babies are born with birth defects, and embryos and fetuses are particularly vulnerable to harmful environmental factors at certain stages of development. To better understand and discuss legal services for birth defect children, you can read more about birth defect lawyers

From 13 to 60 days into the pregnancy, the embryo is at its most vulnerable stage as it begins to form its major structures, including its organs. Most babies’ central nervous systems are developing between weeks 5 to 7, making birth defects at this time the most serious. The baby is less vulnerable throughout the fetal stages, but contaminants that cross the placental-blood barrier may still affect children.

As well as severity, birth defects may be caused by various factors. Some are minor to moderate, and others are more severe. Severe birth defects can mean that the baby only lives for a few weeks or months.

Environmental and genetic factors combine to cause a variety of birth defects. 70% of birth defects have no known cause, while the remaining 30% are caused by chromosomal anomalies, single-gene deficiency, multi-factor inheritance, and teratogens. (1)

Birth Injury

When compared to birth defects, birth injuries are defined as any harm that happens to the newborn during or shortly after the baby’s conception, labor, or delivery. For the most part, birth injuries (as opposed to birth deformities) are prevented, depending on the exact conditions of the birthing process.

When birth injuries occur, they are often the consequence of instruments such as forceps or vacuum extractors during the delivery process. Birth injuries may occur if the infant is mistreated during or after birth or if the person who delivers the child makes a mistake. In addition, medication mistakes during labor might damage a newborn baby.

Failure to monitor and detect a treatable ailment during pregnancy may result in birth damage in some instances, such as a nutrient deficit, anemia, or spina bifida, which has been related to a low in folic acid. It may be deemed medical negligence if a doctor fails to screen for and treat these frequent concerns, and the baby is born with one of these disorders. In this case, the family may be entitled to collect damages via a malpractice lawsuit against the doctor. 

Failure to monitor and detect a treatable ailment during You may not be able to erase your baby’s long-term disabilities. Still, compensation will assist in guaranteeing that he receives medical attention and other support necessary to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible. What you do with your baby’s claim is entirely up to you. (2)