Growing competition in all fields is making both students and professionals look for ways to boost their memory and concentration. And this desire for an excellent focus and memory is making people increasingly resort to supplements to improve memory. While multiple pills to improve memory are available today, it’s important to determine which ones yield results without significant side effects, say experts at LUMULTRA.
Who Needs Memory Pills?
Apart from students and professionals looking to improve their efficiency levels through improved memory and focus, older people too are searching for ways to stop memory loss and the onset of problems such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Of the hundreds of pills and supplements that claim to improve memory, one needs to choose an effective option whose ingredients are scientifically proven to have a positive impact on brain health and thus memory.
Supplements and Their Ingredients
Before looking to improve your memory with supplements one should know that these supplements could be manufactured by using a single ingredient, several ingredients in specific compositions, or a mix of ingredients often labeled as a proprietary blend. Many supplements contain ingredients that can improve concentration, boost productivity and improve mood but are not memory boosters.
Ingredients to Look for in Memory Boosters
Let’s have a look at some important ingredients that form an integral part of supplements to improve your memory.
- Acetyl-I-Carnitine: This amino acid is known for its ability to improve alertness, focus, mental clarity, and mood. It works by creating acetylcholine, a major neurotransmitter that boosts learning and memory. It works as an antioxidant by stopping free radical damage to brain cells.
- Alpha-GPC: This ingredient in supplements is a precursor of acetylcholine and helps in the formation of healthy cell membranes. It also aids in an increased level of other neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin, and GABA.
- Bacopa Monnieri: This ingredient is quite effective for boosting memory, learning, and concentration besides treating anxiety, heart, and lung problems. It also balances the stress hormones and the various brain neurotransmitters.
- Citicoline: This naturally occurring compound is generally found in eggs and meat. Capable of boosting memory, concentration, and focus, this ingredient is used for the treatment of several serious neurological disorders like dementia, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s. This ingredient works by boosting brain energy and increasing the levels of acetylcholine in the brain.
- Curcumin: This ingredient found mainly in Turmeric is capable of boosting memory and concentration by increasing blood flow, neurotransmitter formation, and stimulation of new brain cell production. While several supplements contain curcumin, one should opt for the ones offering increased bioavailability.
- Magnesium: This mineral’s deficiency can result in depression since in its absence the brain chemical serotonin cannot bind to its receptors. Look for supplements to improve memory that include Magnesium I-threonate or Magtein.
- Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids: This ingredient shields aging brains from memory loss, depression, and other age-related mental health issues.
- Phosphatidylserine: This phospholipid helps brain cell membranes to act as gatekeepers and regulate the flow of nutrients into and waste products out of it.
Do check the ingredients in the supplements to improve memory and consult a doctor before you start consuming them. This is important to avoid any kind of contradictions with your existing medicine intake.
A professional writer with over a decade of incessant writing skills. Her topics of interest and expertise range from health, nutrition and psychology.